Here are some great tips for parents and teens designed to keep you focused and safe.
- Talk to your kids about teen driver accident statistics.
- Lead by example when you’re in the car.
- Encourage your family to take the pledge and commit to distracted-free driving while behind the wheel.
- Encourage teens to turn cell phone notifications off. If they can’t see or hear their phone go off, they will be less tempted to pick it up.
- Start a new rule: While driving, cell phones go in the backseat or another spot where they cannot be reached.
- Download an app that will temporarily disable the phone while driving. They can use it again upon arriving at their destination. ( Here is a list of possibilities.)
- Put your phone down.
- Follow safe driving tips.
- Cut out driver distractions by turning off your phone or setting it to silent mode.
- Know your route beforehand to avoid using your phone for directions, or pull over during the trip to review where you need to go.
- Speak up. If you’re in the car with someone who is using their cellphone behind the wheel ask them to stop.
- Lend the phone to a passenger in the car and have them do the texting if an immediate response is necessary.