May is National Bicycle Safety Month. And with the warm weather upon us, more people are on their bikes. So here are some great rules of the road.
- Get acquainted with traffic laws; cyclists must follow the same rules as motorists
- Know your bike’s capabilities
- Ride single-file in the direction of traffic, and watch for opening car doors and other hazards
- Use hand signals when turning and use extra care at intersections
- Never hitch onto cars
- Before entering traffic, stop and look left, right, left again and over your shoulder
- Wear bright clothing and ride during the day
- If night riding can’t be avoided, wear reflective clothing
- Make sure the bike is equipped with reflectors on the rear, front, pedals and spokes
- A horn or bell and a rear-view mirror, as well as a bright headlight, also is recommended
And if you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident, call The Jaklitsch Law Group to speak with one of our attorneys.